Community Resources for Responding to Child Sexual Abuse in Newfoundland & Labrador

Call to Report Abuse

Contact the Department of Child Youth and Family Services 709-729-0760 or any Law Enforcement Agency at 911. You are not required to provide proof. Anyone who makes a good faith report based on reasonable grounds is immune from prosecution. If the abuse occurred within the past 72 hours, a medical evaluation by a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner is available by going to the Emergency Department at any hospital.

Help lines to report child abuse or neglect:

Child Youth and Family Services: 709-729-4612

After Hours: 709-729-4775

RCMP: 709-772-5400 (Non-Emergency) 800-RCMP (7267)

RNC: 709-729-8000

Victim Services/ Dept of Justice: 709-729-7970

Childhelp – National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453)

Websites for more information on child sexual abuse and/or trauma 1-843-965-5444 1-888-PREVENT (1-888-773-8368)


Professionals Required to Report

 The following persons are required to report:

• Physicians, physician’s assistants, optometrists, dentists, behavioral health professionals, nurses, psychologists, counselors, or

social workers

• Peace officers, child welfare investigators, or child protective services workers

• Members of the clergy, priests, or Christian Science practitioners

• Parents, stepparents, or guardians

• School personnel or domestic violence victim advocates

• Any other person who has responsibility for the care or treatment of minors

Any other person who reasonably believes that a minor is a victim of abuse or neglect may report.

HOW TO REPORT In Newfoundland & Labrador

A report can be made to the Department of Child Youth and Family Services 709-729-4612 or after hours 709-729-4775 or by contacting any law enforcement office.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *