How do I report suspected child abuse?

cyfscampaign (1)

Child Abuse – See it. Report it. It’s the law.

What is child abuse?

Children have the right to be protected and to be safe. Unfortunately, there are times when children in Newfoundland and Labrador are harmed or abused. Child abuse includes physical, sexual or
emotional harm, living with violence or being left without adequate supervision.
• Physical abuse is any non-accidential physical force or action that harms a child.
• Sexual abuse is the inappropriate exposure of a child to sexual contact, activity or behavior.
• Emotional abuse is anything that causes mental or emotional harm to a child.

Who is responsible for reporting child abuse?
In Newfoundland and Labrador it is everyone’s responsibility to report any information dealing with child abuse. If you suspect that a child has been abused or if a child tells you that he/she has been abused, it is the law to report it immediately. See it. Report it. It’s the law.

How do I report suspected child abuse?
A child’s life, health or well being may depend on your action. Early reporting makes early intervention possible. You must report suspected child abuse to your local Regional Health Authority or your local police.

What happens when I make a report?
A social worker will speak with you and take the information regarding your report. The social worker will then work with the family, police and community agencies to keep the child safe.

Do communities have a role?
It is the community’s responsibility to support the safety, health and well being of its children. Communities take a lead role in enhancing the overall wellness of children every day, when they
foster an open and positive environment for children and create strong social support networks for families.

Children have the right to be protected and to be safe. Unfortunately there are times when children in Newfoundland and Labrador are harmed or abused.

The Child, Youth and Family Services Act – The Child,Youth & Family Services Act is the law which gives social workers the ability to protect children and youth under 16 years of age
when there is a report of child abuse.

To report child abuse call Child, Youth and Family Services or contact your local police:

Eastern Regional Health Authority (709) 752-4238 After Hours (709) 752-4619
Central Regional Health Authority (709) 292-1210 After Hours (709) 292-2500
Western Regional Health Authority (709) 637-2686 After Hours (709) 632-1577
Labrador-Grenfell Regional Health Authority (709) 896-9170 After Hours (709) 897-2000